The annual election meeting will be held on Thursday, September 28 at 7:30 p.m. with registration beginning at 6:45 p.m. at the Eastport Fire Station, 914 Bay Ridge Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21403. Because of a lack of meeting space, this meeting, which was originally scheduled for Tuesday, September 26 has been moved to Thursday, September 28. We urge you to mark this date on your calendar and come out to VOTE!
The OHCA Nominating Committee, consisting of five members appointed by the President, is the vehicle established by the OHCA Constitution to consider and nominate a person for each open Board and officer position at the annual meeting on September 28.
The Nominating Committee is now accepting applications/nominations for:
- Four open positions on the OHCA Board of Directors; three will serve a three-year term; the fourth will serve a one-year term. The OHCA Board of Directors is the legal entity representing OHCA and is responsible for formulating the budget and controlling and formulating all policies related to community-owned properties, including roads, beaches, piers, and playgrounds.
- All Officer positions–President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Special Tax Treasurer, Association Treasurer/Financial Secretary; all Officer positions serve one-year terms.
Please see the Constitutionally mandated duties of each Board member and Officer that are attached.
OHCA is an Anne Arundel County Special Community Benefit District (SCBD; also known as Special Tax District). All property owners pay a special tax on our property tax bill to cover the costs of maintaining and running our community. The Board members and Officers oversee the expenditure of these funds, and must comply with our Constitution and with local, state, and federal laws and regulations. It is vital that we elect committed and dedicated members to these positions.
This year, the nominations process is as follows:
- Nominations will be accepted until Sunday, 9/3.
- All candidates, including incumbents, should complete the attached questionnaire and submit it via email along with your resume or bio, by Sunday 9/3, to: email@example.com
- If you don’t have access to email, please send your documents (should be postmarked by 9/3) to:
400 Serendipity Drive
Millersville, MD 21108
- The Nominating Committee will review candidates and develop the recommended slate, nominating a person for each open position. (Per the constitution, additional nominations can also be called from the floor at the Annual Meeting on 9/28.)
- Candidates will be notified of their status the week of 9/10.
- The Elections Newsletter with the recommended slate, and the list of all candidates will be sent via email and US Mail the week of 9/17.
- The Nominating Committee will present the recommended slate of candidates at the 9/28 meeting.
- Per the constitution, additional nominations for any of the open offices “shall be called for from the floor”. If nominated from the floor, the nominee must be present, have the nomination seconded, and accept the nomination.
- Also, per the constitution, elections are cast by written ballot.
We on the Nominating Committee look forward to your participation in this important process and to seeing you on Thursday, September 28.
Please note that, in addition to elected positions, there are many other opportunities to help serve our wonderful community by volunteering on one of the many committees. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to volunteer for any of these Oyster Harbor Committees and we will pass your name on:
1) Beach; 2) Community Property; 3)Roads and Drainage; 4) Benevolence;
5) Social; 6) Piers & Harbors; 7) Finance; and 8) Security.
Respectfully Submitted by Your OHCA Nominating Committee:
- Mo Lewis, Chair
- John Boris
- Jeff Browne
- Pam Gratton
- Arlene Jackson